Tuesday, October 6, 2009

2009 Race for Victory

Having last done the race in 2005, it was pretty much a “new” one for me. The one thing that has never changed is the stretch through Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve. A tough 26km’s with a few bumps and a final kick of 2km’s at a touch over 7% average. To make things worse, it rained the night before so the 400m dirt section was basically a mud bath (Not really) and the wind was also out to play on the day, so a perfect recipe for a tough race.

A small bunch of just over 30 guys made up the VA group. Present was BlackRock, BulkPack, Club 100, Jaco from TCS and a few others. The first 4km’s was neutralized until after the dirt section where we were treated to a flat and fast section heading out towards the drag up towards Walkerville. No major moves early on except for Gavin van Aswegen (Club 100) who slipped off the front taking with him another rider but had nothing more than 10 seconds to the peloton. We approached the drag up towards Walkerville so I decided to head up the front and set pace, I was also trying to get my legs warm for the onslaught through the reserve. At this point the group was still pretty much together but enough damage was being done and the group was starting to split. ¾ up Graeme Cronje (BlackRock) attacked and no reaction came from the peloton. To let a rider like Graeme go is always dangerous so I reacted taking with Craig Harvey (BulkPack), Gavin van Aswegen (Club 100), Jaco Ferreira
(TCS), Jacques Fullard (BlackRock), Jacques Maritz (BlackRock) and Stefano Madies (Di Data). This was where the major split occurred and with the turn up towards the reserve a strong cross wind from the right introduced itself but with good cohesion between the escapees we were increasing the gap and the chasers according to race radio lost interest.

Entering the hills of the reserve, Gavin was setting a comfortable pace on the lower slopes which Graeme and I continued through to the steepest part of the reserve. I decided to have a dig for KOM followed by Stefano and at the time I thought I managed to get it and just ahead of Stefano and race commissaries confirmed this but only later found out that the KOM hot spot was further up the road which was taken by Jacques Fullard. With the accelerations up the final slope through the reserve the 8 man break was down to 5, losing Craig, Jacques Maritz
and Gavin. Craig was just off and exiting the reserve I was told to not contribute hoping Craig would get back to join us but it would have had to be a BIG effort with Graeme, Jacques, Jaco and Stefano driving the pace with another cross wind hitting us from the right. BlackRock were in a strong position with 2 riders in the break and with 8km’s to go Graeme had a shot at getting away but Jaco covered the move. On entering the dirt section, Graeme drove hard and somehow my chain managed to slip off and I lost contact with the leaders. I tried to get back but to no avail and I had to settle for 5th.

It was a good race for me despite the weather conditions. I always struggle to get in the groove in wet and overcast conditions. My forms great and coming along and my recovery at the moment is excellent. With no racing this coming weekend I have a tough week ahead on the steed and then it’s racing all the way through to the 94.7. Let’s hope the weathers good to us and the punctures are minimal this week. Enjoy it!

Later,


Vets 30+ Results:

1. Jacques Fullard (2:40:31)

2. Jaco Ferreira st.

3. Stefano Madies st.

4. Graeme Cronje st.

5. Jason Du Preez @49

6. Jacques Maritz @2:17

7. Gavin Cyrus Van Aswegen st.

8. Craig Harvey st.


No comments:

Post a Comment