Thursday, August 20, 2009

2009 EPR Cycle Challenge: Wind, drags and tiredness

So the EPR… Not one of my favorites, but I’m using these smaller races to find some sort of race fitness/form for the bigger ones lying ahead this year. Wind is always a factor in this race and with a course that provides ±1000m of ascent over 120km’s it’s always a tough one when you’re getting old, like me. The event (Start/Finish) was held at the Tarlton International Raceway, Magaliesburg, a 400m drag strip which provides for an exciting finish for both riders and spectators.

Smaller groups meant that we had to mix it up with the older men (VB’s) in the game who seem to mature like fine wine, also with some of the darlings in SA cycling, Toyota Cycle Lab Ladies Team, who were out preparing for the Tour of Ardeche (http://www.tcfia.org/GB/4-equipes/equipes.html) a 6 day tour which starts on the 8th September in France, so good luck ladies!

It was a slow start heading out with not much happening. As I was using this race more for training and getting used to race pace, I decided to head up the front and set the pace for most of the way heading out and up towards the Cradle. I didn’t want to exhaust myself, I knew the 12km drag up past Magalies was going to be hard with attacks and possibly a group splitting off the front and lasting ‘til the end. This proved to be the case and with attack after attack and a gutter, I found myself battling to stick and had to bite the bullet for a while, most probably due to earlier efforts and tired legs. Finally 8 of us (Russel Lund, Attie Duvenhage, Gary Rabie, Carl Lotter, Shane Brown, Leon Olivier, 1 unknown and myself) got off the front and started working well together to open the gap over the chasing peloton. It was a tough ask, splitting the field at 40km’s with 80km’s to go and wind, I knew we were going to have our work cut out. What felt like a head wind from then on and at 60km’s the gap was sitting at 1m45sec and was slowly increasing. The cohesion between the 8 escapees was starting to fade and out of the 8 leaders 8 of us were skipping turns as the wind and rolling hills started taking its toll. Soon the gap grew to 3m45sec and with 15km’s to go, the lead group started attacking each other, with someone hoping to get off the front, but with the wind out playing no one was going to get away and a sprint finish was on the cards. Approaching Tarlton the attacks started again but once again to no avail and it all came down to a sprint with Russel Lund taking it for the VA’s followed by Gary Rabie.

Like I said, not my favorite race and a tough day in saddle with the wind playing its toll. One positive I can take out of my race is my power data. They say you only get your true data when you race and after analyzing my data I’m pretty happy with it, although I think there’s still room for improvement and considering I had tired legs I’m sure the numbers could have been better. Heading in to a rest week now and then Saturday 22nd August at Suncity. The Lost City Cycle Classic, 103km’s, flat and fast and a full Bulk Pack team at the line, well almost. See you chaps then!

Later,


Vets 30+ Results:
1. Russel Lund (3:08)

2. Gary Rabie

3. Jason du Preez

4. Carl Lotter


No comments:

Post a Comment